Pages

Sunday 24 November 2013

Ice dyeing experimentation

I'm a bit sad that college finished this week.On Friday I gave my presentation to the Textile class, which comprised a powerpoint presentation on textile technologies. I chose to investigate phosphorescent fibre, based on my discovery of this fabulous piece called (No)Where (Now)Here by artist Ying Gao. This work incorporates several technologies - photoluminescent fibre, eye tracking technology and tiny motors. Click on the link to see it in action.

(NO)WHERE (NOW)HERE

(NO)WHERE (NOW)HERE

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g04tjpe6dEM

Saturday morning I attended a workshop organised by ATASDA, where the delightful Lyn Baxter introduced us to the simple but fascinating technique of ice dyeing. It was a lovely relaxed morning, and I am very pleased with the results of my experiments. They are not as lovely as Lyns' samples - I think they might need a little more ice to get the same effect she did. However, I think the spots of dye powder are another interesting effect. 













Mishka didn't really have much of an opinion to offer on the matter....
















The weekend was rounded off with the last visit to Gallery 159 for 2013, to see the Baltic Mini-Textiles Exhibition, supplemented by selected works from ATASDA members. The delightful vision of Janet in her summer finery on the stairs was the first thing we saw!

"A total of 70 works in miniature, from the collection of the Museum of Gdynia, Poland have been brought to Australia by TAFTA at the instigation of Jolanta Szymczyk.  The exhibition continues to 15th December, 2013.  Textiles from the Collection of Dana McCown will be sold in conjunction (ideal for Christmas presents).  The International Baltic Mini-Textiles collection which has been touring Australia for nearly two years through TAFTA, will have their final showing atWARWICK ART GALLERY, Warwick Qld from February 6 – March 16, 2014. This is the last opportunity to view these remarkable works provided to Australia by the Museum of Gdynia Poland. The exhibition tour has seen the works shown in Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia as well as several venues in Queensland. Jolanta Szymczyk, instigator of the touring concept will be joined by Janet De Boer O.A.M. at the opening in Warwick; for details see www.warwickartgallery.com.au".





With the regular barman Peter away, Matt and Liam stepped in to fulfill barman duties for us all - much appreciated, boys!       This left Janet free to make sales - yahooo!!
The exhibition was lovely, and although I had seen it before, like Janet, I saw new things this time. Two of my favourite works were these two delicate pieces...
 I also loved this sea creature inspired piece.

At the end of the week, I managed to catch up with Jacqueline and give her the eco-dyed nuno-felt wrap that I had made for her - see my Facebook post for the story and pics. She looked absolutely gawdjuss in it, and if she weren't internet shy I could show you!
I also picked up a new addition to the stable this week - a Pegasus Industrial Overlocker!! Just have to make some room for it now......
 Work also progresses on the WoW entry for 2014 - in leather once again. After the main entry, I hope to make another trio of garments for another entry as well. After all, for the first time in many years, I have school holidays in which to work on this!! Yaaay!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment