Pages

Monday 19 May 2014

A much needed getaway

I have just returned from a lovely few days with my beloved at Alexandra Headlands on the Sunshine Coast. It was wonderful to NOT do anything but read, sleep, eat and walk. We headed straight to Eumundi Markets on Saturday morning, which was in fine form. Across the road is the latest incarnation of Tina Coopers Glass Gallery. This is a wonderful place of discoveries as you wander through the magnificent shop, up to a small gallery space and work bench where the artist Wolfgang Engel was at work. Beyond here was the gallery space, creatively housed in converted
shipping containers. In between was a gorgeous courtyard of greenery and garden glass. So much for the eyes to drink in! We enjoyed a discussion with Wolfgang as I fell in love with the line of this lovely glass piece he had made, which had to return home with us as a special treasure.
During the weekend we enjoyed exploring the rocks around the headland, and gathering the prolific crop of pumice stone we found washed up on the sand. I have plans for these! The patterns and holes in the rocks are endlessly fascinating, as are the life forms found dwelling amongst them.
 








On our way out today we explored some op-shops – including one for a charity I have never seen before – the Kidney Support Network. With Matt being a survivor of kidney cancer, I thought we should definitely support the shop, and I was able to find a lovely shot silk shirt with covered buttons. Awww, look at da liddle kidney!!!

After a wonderful lunch at Noosa, I convinced Matt to swing past a fabric shop I had heard of, and I was very glad we did! Johno's Fabric Centre at Maroochydore was a treasure trove of goodies, some of which I have never seen before – I like that! I had a lovely chat with Robyn there, who like many, asked what I was going to make. I had to own up that I had no idea, I simply wanted the fabrics!

A beautiful black and silver lace, a black mesh embroidered with tiny gold sequins, and a tie-dyed and pink-foiled stretch velvet – yum! A wonderful end to a fabulous time away, ready to face the last month of TAFE for this term.


This Sunday I will be attending the Qld Spinners and Weavers Open day, which is the only day non-members are let loose in the 'Emporium' as well as the chance to shop at many members stalls. Jenelle and I are hoping to possibly get some supplies for our Ballarat workshop which is now looking not too far off!!!. I'll then be installing 3 of my wearable art garments in the foyer of Central Plaza II, 66 Eagle Street Brisbane, where they will be on display for a week – come and check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment