Pages

Saturday 27 August 2016

Shifting Seasons


I visited the lovely Shifting Seasons selling exhibition at the Richard Randall Studio, Mt Coot-tha Garden this morning, to admire the work of Sue Ford, Lyn Baxter, Karoline Cumming and Tricia Smout. I didn't escape without succumbing to this beautifully painted silk scarf by Sue Ford, and these gawdjuss polymer clay earrings by Karoline
Cumming. The photos don't do them justice, and the scarf is a little crushed in the photo because I wore it out to lunch with beloved boy today! At the gardens, Janet and I enjoyed a quick catch up in the very diminished café there - so sad - no bubbles, so we were forced to be virtuous!

 I am now in the process of booking a weekend in Melbourne, a bit of a birthday treat for me, to see Annemieke Mein's exhibition at the Bayside Gallery at Brighton.

Habitat: Annemieke Mein
24 September – 6 November 2016 
Annemieke Mein, Dance of the Mayflies 1988, high relief wall sculpture, 110 x 180 x 10cm. Courtesy of Gippsland Art Gallery, Sale.

Acclaimed Dutch-born Australian artist Annemieke Mein is recognised as one of the world’s foremost textile artists.

Habitat brings together a significant collection of Mein’s work that demonstrates her lifelong passion for raising awareness of the need to protect our natural heritage.
Her interest in insects, especially those which might not usually be considered beautiful, and her drive to capture the character and personality of her subject in its environment opens our eyes to its unique place in our world.


 Seeing her amazing work pretty much started my textile art journey, over 20 years ago. Although I could have gone down to meet her at the gallery on October 15, it's pretty important to me to celebrate my big birthday with my sister and mother on the Friday 14th, which was Dad's birthday, and he would have been 78. Here we are in 1997 - him in the process of destroying the garden, me off to work at the markets. As a botanist and biology lecturer, Dad also played a great part in my appreciation of the wonders of nature. I wish he were here to see all the mad stuff I make now! He thought I was crazy then - I had hardly begun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment