Pages

Friday 28 April 2017

A WOW Shipping history

With more and more of us sharing photos of our babies on their way to WOW, I thought I'd put together a little collection of ours leaving us over the years! Every time we do this, we are reminded again of how much we rely on the Mainfreight sponsorship. Without them, we just couldn't do it, so thank you, Mainfreight, for helping me be a part of the WOW family.
Unfortunately we have no photo of the 2008 entry Beyond Chrysalis going off in two battered suitcases, secured with old ties! However, it made it safely, and was my first work to be seen on the World of WearableArt stage!
I missed 2009, as I was working on my first exhibition, from which the idea for my 2010 entry, BioLumina, emerged. For this, Matt built what we now affectionately refer to as 'The Pink Coffin' (first place to look around here if I go missing...). A fine work itself, this was when the documenting of shipping began!


BioLumina won the International Runner Up Award, and was acquired by the World of WearableArt Museum, so we asked for the empty crate to be returned to us. For 2011, we packed Fimbria Figura into it.

In 2012, I made the giant beast that was Euphony Iridacaea. Made of fibreglass, she required a lot more room and security, so Matt picked up a crate, reinforced it, and built 3 drawers for it to contain the fibreglass pieces.
 Amazingly, the three works I made for 2013, Hakuturi, all fitted in the pink coffin, which at this time had a wee face lift as it was looking a bit tired after all its travels.
Hakuturi won second place in the Air New Zealand South Pacific section, as well as winning the International Award for Australia/South Pacific, which was an acquisitive award, and so the empty crate returned once more.
In 2014 I managed two entries, which nestled up neatly together in the big crate. This year I started decorating the crate with a few images to indicate what was inside - a snowflake for Isolda and a Phoenix for Fènghuáng. Fènghuáng remains in New Zealand, having won the Internatioanl Award for Australia/South Pacific.




2015 was another double, although entered as a single entry, and once again, both fit in the coffin! A few stencils of purple beetles were added this time.


In 2015 I made two separate entries, another giant of a piece for the Aotearoa section, and my first Bizarre Bra, so it was back into the big box! Some clouds were added to the crate for Aotearoa, and some antlers for the bra.


 :
Unfortunately, Aoteoroa was not selected, and was returned, languishing in storage ever since as I could not bear to look at it!
However, the crate was required for this year, so unpacked it must be, along with Return to Earth, which having  being kept for display at the museum, returned home just in time for this year, when my three entries required both crates!
No automatic alt text available.
I did have this one as a back up - a nice score from Reverse garbage, and with this continuous addiction to entering WOW, I'm sure it will one day get its time in the spotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment